Friday, June 6, 2014

Equine Gates/ Trail Gates

Just now I was looking at another blog that I follow and she was talking about a recent trail ride in New Mexico she had taken with a friend. She posted a picture of the gate you have to go through to get to the trail part and I found it very fascinating. I couldn't find a "contact me" to ask for permission to use the photo so I'm going to just link it and you can go look for yourself...


I've never seen a trail gate that looked like that. Here in Arizona, at least in the Phoenix area where I've seen the gates, they look like this (scroll to 2nd picture)


I find it very interesting that the gate for the open space in New Mexico was what looked to be a de-constructed pallet on the ground, sort of embedded into the dirt. I know the concept is the same...keep motorized vehicles out...but it still looks strange to me. I've only ever seen trail heads in Phoenix and San Diego and both use the same sort of gate. So my readers out there who live near riding trails, what sort of gate is used?

Our weather has been brutal this week. 107. 109. A few days of 110. It feels like an oven outside. I can't wait for the fall again. hahaha. Around here, commercial stables don't generally operate in the heat of the day, rather having trail rides in the morning. People who own horses generally ride early in the morning if they're not lucky enough to have their own indoor arena to ride it. How does the weather affect YOUR riding? Do you have a certain high temperature in your mind that if it reaches that you won't ride out? How about low temperatures? How cold does it have to get before you decide to "put up" the horses for the season? Do your rental stables have weather guidelines for their trail rides?

My group had Claims Center training early today. Hurray. Now all that's left is Integration and Playground before we go live next month. It's pretty exciting because the stuff we learned today will turn a 10 minute task into a 1 minute one. Everyone will like that, especially when you have a bunch of them to do. Like I have this week. Like I have right now so I'd better get to it.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what picture and blog you are talking about. I had to look long and hard at it while I processed all the training it would take to get my horses through that. I'll ride in the heat as long as there is a breeze. I'm more into the "Feels Like" temperature than the actual temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt you do since I found her blog through yours. ;). I imagine quite a few people would need extra training to get their horses to cross that thing even if they're a pro at the gates you and I are used to. Yours seem to get a bit spooky on those to begin with.

    That's a good idea to go with a 'feels like' rather than the actual temperature. Take San Diego for example...80 degrees in Phoenix is usually quite pleasant but 80 degrees in San Diego is hot to me. It feels hotter so I'd likely ride in the Phoenix area at 80 degrees but not necessarily San Diego at 80.

    ReplyDelete