Thursday, June 26, 2014

I guess she REALLY wanted them to have it!

I occasionally suffer from bouts of insomnia and when it's too late to want to take a sleep aid, I get on my iPad Mini and start surfing the net...like now.  Usually I get tired enough to go back to bed within a short while, but I wanted to post this first...

I was looking at a zoo nut message board I frequent, I looked along the right-hand side to see if there's any interesting news in the zoo world and saw a headline about someone wantig to feed the lions at the Memphis Zoo...

Woman climbs barrier, tries to feed lions cookies at Memphis Zoo

http://wreg.com/2014/06/24/woman-tried-to-feed-cookies-to-memphis-zoo-lions/

The woman had been caught not once, but TWICE trying to feed some cookies to the lions there.  I mean, who does that?  Not to mention how incredibly dangerous and stupid it can be to climb a barrier.  I wonder if she was drunk or had some kind of mental issues going on like others that've done similar things.  I'd like to be able to say this was an isolated incident, but it's not.  A year or so ago some dude got into the Elephant yard.  Fortunately they got him out before any of the three elephants saw him.  The one at the Bronx Zoo in 2012 wasn't so lucky.  That guy jumped off the monorail into the Tiger exhibit and was injured pretty bad.  Anyway,  I wonder if she was refunded for her recently-purchased membership since she's been banned for life...? Those can be expensive, depending on the zoo and the perks that come with it.  At one time I had memberships at three zoos and all had very different prices.  Only one was worth the cost and is the only one I still have because it was the most difficult to acquire, but it also has the most perks.  They don't just cater to children and have tons of programs for children but none for adults, unlike the zoo that's only 6 minutes away.

Anyway, eyes more to this post than just the article.  Well, the article was the main point, but I have a personal story to share that is related...I used to have this friend that I went on many "Zoo Adventures" with.  She often said we should toss meat balls (balls of meat, not meatballs) to the male Tiger at our local zoo.  We never did and I'm pretty sure she wasn't serious about it, but it was pretty silly.  A girl I work with and I also often say we are going to go to our local zoo and start building the new Tiger exhibit ourselves.  They were supposed to break ground in April, but here we are at the end of June and nothing has happened.  But the point is, there's a big difference between joking about it and actually doing it.

Well, I guess that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment