Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Breyer Horses vs Peter Stone

Okay.  This isn't a post about which is better because both have their pluses and minuses.  Peter Stone's dad, Sam Stone, started Breyer Molding Company and in 1984 Reeve's International acquired Breyer, which was called Breyer Animal Creations by then.  Eventually, Peter Stone left Breyer and started his own model horse business in 1996, which is called The Peter Stone Company or Stone Horses.

Anyway, last night I was looking at a thread on Blab about Stone's Ideal Stock Horse (aka ISH) on my iPad mini and my brother happened to see a picture of a now-retired model of a leopard Appaloosa and commented that it was a neat-looking Breyer.  I told him it wasn't a Breyer, but rather a Peter Stone.  He'd never heard of that company so I had to explain to him who Peter Stone was and his relationship to Breyer and the differences between the two companies/models.  He knew I had Breyer, but I told him I also had a Stone so I went to get them to see if he could tell the difference...
Ravel & Speckled Jelly Bean

I put both on the table and told him he wasn't allowed to pick them up and he said he needed to in order to get a better exam of them and I said that both horses had company logos on them.  He asked where and when I told him he said he wouldn't look there, so I let him pick them up to examine them.  The area he seemed to scrutinize the most was the eyes...

and that was the first reason he gave for the grey one being the Stone Horse.  He said the eyes were more realistic-looking.  **edit** My brother has a couple of Breyer animals and that's how he knew the grey horse wasn't a Breyer.  He didn't automatically think Peter Stone had more realism.  The second reason was the paint job
He said the grey one looked more realistic.  I didn't get a picture of the third thing he found to decide which horse was which and that was the paint job quality.  There was a line of paint near the mane of Ravel that appeared to have been missed whereas SJB didn't have any such issues.  Oddly enough, all 3 reasons he gave for concluding SJB was the Stone are ones I've heard on Blab so I don't doubt that's why he figured it out, HOWEVER, when he was holding SJB up for a closer look, I can't know for sure if he saw the inscription on the inner leg of him that said something about him being a Stone.  I'd forgotten it was kind of carved into his leg as opposed to the stamp Reeves uses and is fairly large.  Since SJB is the only Stone I have at the moment and he's a 1 of 6, I don't know if all of the Stone models have the name carved into the thigh.  I was going to take a picture, but since my blog is rated G and SBJ is a stallion, I didn't want to put a photo like that up.  hahaha.

I will be off for the next few days.  I am going to Las Vegas to visit a friend on Friday and Saturday and Monday is Memorial Day.  I don't usually blog over the weekend, but I may post one from Las Vegas.  I will be taking a couple of horses with me because I'll be visiting Valley of Fire State Park and I want to try to get some cool photos.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!


**eta**  I wanted to post this update on Blab, but am concerned of getting a slap on the wrist from one of the mods because it might be viewed as saying something negative about a fellow hobbyist outside the proper forum for such things.  Even if I took out specific information and posted in generalalities, I didn't want to risk it so I'm putting it here because I don't think she's on Blab.  I haven't told anyone what her name is so I'm not too concerned, but she might recognize some of the details and figure it was her.

On Saturday, as I posted before, I sent a money order to buy a model from someone and sent an email letting her know it was on its way and asked that she let me know it had arrived.  I figured it would get there on Monday, Tuesday at the latest.  So today, when I hadn't heard anything yet, I decided to email her and ask if it had arrived.  She said not only had it arrived yesterday, but I *think* she also said she has already mailed the model.  Her reply wasn't real clear on that...it said "Yes I got it yesterday and I sent in out yesterday."  The part where she got the money order yesterday is clear, but I don't know if she's also saying she sent the model yesterday, too.  Which is fine.  I'm a bit...annoyed, I guess...that she didn't let me know the money order had arrived AND that she'd already mailed him.  There's not much I can do about it at this point, but I just think there could've been a little better communication on her part.  At any rate, I hope he arrives before I leave for Las Vegas, but if a money order took Saturday to Tuesday, my model probably won't show up until Saturday at the earliest.  I'm nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment