Friday, January 11, 2019

Breyerfest 2019

Hello again.  I am glad to see from the view counter that a few people still read this thing.  hahaha.  I don't know how often I'll post, but I will try to do it more often.

Breyerfest 2019 is starting to ramp up, which is common for January.  The 3 day tickets went on sale, what, last week?  I haven't boughten one yet.  Not entirely sure I will.  I want the celebration model because it's a police horse and I like the color
Problem is, I'm not going to Breyerfest and it's often a hassle trying to find someone to do pick-ups for me that won't end up costing a bunch of extra money.  Don't get me wrong.  I think people who do pick-ups for other people do deserve some sort of compensation for spending so much time standing in line, but some of the prices I've seen charged are ridiculous.  In the past, I've bought a ticket for the possibility of getting left-overs on the Breyer website, but there wasn't anything I was interested in last year's line-up so I didn't bother.  They haven't started showing, yet, what this year's SRs will look like, but unless there's a couple that I want, I'm not going to pay for however much amount for a child's ticket to get the celebration model plus have to pay someone a pick-up fee.  That would almost double the cost of the model.  In that situation I would probably just buy the celebration model on the secondary market.  There's usually a bunch of them out there.  I was lucky enough to be chosen off the wait list for the Scottsdale Stampede that was held in November and the person I gave my +1 ticket to, I helped get her the SR model she wanted most because I ended up being 4th in line (I still need to blog about that experience) and she was so happy she swore up one side and down the other that she would "pay me back" (she paid for the model...at cost) and mentioned Breyerfest, but she's been in and out of the hobby so much the past 6 months that I don't know what is going on. 

Anyway...today the Early Bird Raffle model was released
Even if I liked him, you need to be present to win and since I'm not going...hahaha...I don't collect this mold anyway so I'm not too bummed.  I know a lot of people like him.

This year is the 30th anniversary of Breyerfest.  Wow.  Seems like just last year they were celebrating 25 years.  I've wanted to go almost since day one.  I don't remember how long they'd been doing it before I first heard about it, but it wasn't very long because I've been in the hobby for a long time.  When I was younger, I didn't have any money to go and my parents wouldn't take me.  It's an expensive trip from Arizona to Kentucky and they just had no interest in doing something like that.  They support(ed) my interest, but only if it didn't cause them any inconvenience or too much money.  hahaha.  When I got older and had a job, it was still money that got in my way of going.  Then I got a GOOD job that paid decent money and provided time off.  But I still haven't gone.  Why?  Money.  hahaha.  A roundtrip ticket to Louisville, unless I happen to catch a really good sale, is a minimum of $404 (that's what it is right now).  I actually had bought a plane ticket to go last year.  My mom loaned me the money.  I had hotel booked.  Car reserved.  Told people I was going to be there.  Everything was working out for me to be able to attend, but I had to cancel.  Why?  Medical problems.  There always seems to be something.  This year I didn't bother planning to go because I wanted to go to a planner conference in Las Vegas in May, but I had to cancel that.

Sorry.  I don't mean to rattle on about my problems.  One of these years I'd like to make it to Breyerfest.  I should start saving now and maybe go next year?  But if there's going to be a collector event in the fall, I might like to try for that instead.  I don't know.  When I did Scottsdale Stampede I said I probably wouldn't do it again, but I think if I did things a bit differently, it would be okay.  I don't even know that there will be a collector event in 2019, let alone where it is.  The planner event is every year and maybe 2020 will be a fun location and I'll decide to do that, I don't know.  What DO I know?  Nothing.  hahahaha.

Okay, guys, that's it for now.  Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. I didn’t even know that Breyerfest was a thing! It’s goid to have plans and dreams though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Well you have your hands full with the real thing and probably don’t collect Breyers so they’re probably not on your radar. ;)

      Delete
    2. LOL, I knew about Breyers, just not that there was a festival. I could see how attractive it would be. :)

      Delete