Monday, February 10, 2014

Cars...

So, late last week the "check engine soon" light came on in my 1998 Ford Taurus. I have a somewhat faulty sensor that makes the light come on for a few days (or a week) and then it goes away and there's nothing actually wrong with my car. But I have actually had problems in the past with the car and since it's been almost a year since the light was last on, I was worried that something was wrong with the car. I know I have an oil leak and apparently now I have a trasnmission leak, too, but I only paid about $5,500 for the car and have probably put more than that in repairs over the past 5 years so I know I'm driving on borrowed time. On Saturday I checked the "vitals" on my car and put more oil in it and some 50/50 anti-freeze and hoped that would do it. I then started thinking that maybe it was time to get a "new" car. I had already decided to save my tax refunds and put it towards a down-payment, but had hoped I could add to it rather than that amount being it so I started looking at different online car places. I found a Nissan Versa at DriveTime for a decent amount of money and low mileage, but I'm not sure I could afford the payments they were asking, if I was reading it right. Then I went to the website for where I got my current car and found a couple. But then, I found THE one. It's at the dealership where I got my current car. I have never found one on the secondary market because nobody seems to sell them. Then again, I've never really looked.
I have liked the Pontiak Aztek since it first came out and have always wanted one. I just think they're the neatest-looking SUV out there. This one is a 2005 and the price is pretty decent plus I can afford the monthly payments and still have some money left over each month for plastic poneh fun-ness. The body is in good shape (I had tried to attach a picture of the driver side but my computer is being difficult) The only think I don't like about it is that it has 115,000 miles on it. If I knew for sure I could get a good 3 years out of it, I'd be all over it. But I don't know what kind of shape the engine and other stuff is in or the shelf life of this particular Pontiac. I would so much love to get this vehicle, but the mileage is making me think with my head and not my heart.

On the way to work this morning...the "check engine soon" light went out. YAY? Or uh-oh? I'm going to hope to keep building on the amount I "currently" have earmarked (I've only gotten state back, don't know when federal will show up) and will have a bigger chunk of change and more options for a new car. But I want the Aztek!!!!!!! hahaha. I need to forget I saw it, though, and keep saving money. I know it's the right thing to do.

So, I haven't said lately how much I dislike the weather here. I feel I must today. It's supposed to be 72 today...fine. It's supposed to be 87 by Friday. NOT FINE! It should NOT be almost 90 degrees in mid-February! No! NO! NO! NO! I hate Arizona weather.

2 comments:

  1. A piece of electrical tape does wonders to cover a check engine light, LOL. J/K. Mine has been on for 3 years, nothing wrong with it and my car guy says just get used to it. So I did. It is the third car I have had that has had the light on. At a certain mileage they come on because the catalytic converter wears out. Because we haven't auto inspections for exhaust here like they do in the southern part of the state I can ignore it. I have 230,000 on that car so far and she still purrs like a kitten. You only have to worry if it blinks/flashes. On, off, no big deal. My car is in the shop at least every other month for a going over an oil change so I trust my mechanic. To me new cars are a PITA to break in...am breaking in a new to me one now as a regular runner. Man...hard on the nerves. Whatever you decide good luck. Newer cars are great once the bugs are wore out...or at least let you fee that way, LOL. BTW, we are to get to upper 20's!!! Now where did I put my bikini?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 230,000 miles on it? That's amazing. Mine has around 115,000. We have emissions testing here in our county, but not the entire state. There's a sign at the testing center that says your car won't pass if the "check engine" light is on so it sounds like it's a common occurrance for that light to come on. Mine doesn't blink of flash, it just comes on for a few days then goes away again. My car just passed emissions this past July so I'm good on that for 2 years. I'm glad we don't have equipment checks since I have a cracked windshield, a missing driver side mirror and my turn signals don't work very often.

    Hahaha. Hmmm. Maybe it's with your beach sandals?

    ReplyDelete