Sunday, April 14, 2013

What to do...?

I have some time off coming up in May and an airplane ticket currently for San Diego, but it can be easily changed with no penalty.  I have been going back and forth between wanting to stick with San Diego and changing it back to Las Vegas.  I really like both cities but I've been going to San Diego so much the past few years and the last time I was in Vegas it was only for a couple of hours.

I'm not a huge gambler.  I play video black jack and since starting that I usually walk away ahead.  I like the bright lights, though, and the atmosphere.  I don't go to shows.  I have a friend in nearby St George, UT and I've canceled so many trips on her to go to San Diego instead.  It's a wonder she even still talks to me.  I also have been having moments where I just want to figuratively eat the cost of the ticket and not go anywhere, but this morning while at breakfast at Denny's with my mom I decided to go with Vegas

Fine.  That was that, right?  WRONG!  I couldn't have been more wrong if I tried.  While doing our weekly grocery shopping I came across a sign for Sea World...
I like orca...a lot.  I DON'T like Sea World, though, other than the rescue and rehab work they do with injured marine mammals.  Whenever possible they return them to the wild.  But seeing this sign and then taking a closer up of just the whale to see if my friend could identify it...it made me start thinking of all the fun I used to have at Sea World before becoming disillusioned with them. So now I'm stuck back on square one. Sea World has two new whales I haven't seen yet, including a calf born on Valentine's Day. So now what? I know the whales and dolphins there can't live in the wild because they were either born in captivity or have spent most of their lives there and that's not where I have the problem...the problem is with the shows. I don't like the shows. So what do I do? Do I change my plans again and go to Las Vegas and see my friend or do I go where my heart is telling me to go and stay with San Diego. I don't know for sure if I will even go to Sea World but that's besides the point. I can't help but think of the times I've interacted with whales in Shamu Close-Up or seen my special whale, who's growing so fast...
 The first time I saw my little Kalia she was only a few hours old and that was on the webcam. I saw her in person at 6 weeks old and now she is 8 years old. Wow. The new calf is her half brother. She will always be special to me. And then there's the dolphins. If I go to Las Vegas I can see dolphins at the Mirage, but it always saddens me because it gets so hot there in the summer and they have no shade and all they do is hang out by the water jets. Sea World doesn't have much shade either but it doesn't get as hot. Plus I get to touch them in San Diego...
   Yeah. I think the writing is on the wall. Thanks for letting me talk it out. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment